Vinylmation Trading is a major part of the hobby due to the way Vinylmation is sold in blind boxes, resulting in duplicates or unwanted figures which can be traded in person at selected Disney Stores, locations at Disney Theme Parks and trade events.
Store will usually have either a Clear trading box which any vinyl can be traded for:
Some selected locations can have Mystery boxes (some do differ in sizes) which you can trade for a figure contained behind one of the numbers.
Here are some official rules and guidelines for trading at Disney Stores (Not all stores have Clear or Mystery Boxes)
Tips for Vinylmation Trading
1. Trade with Cast Members from the Mystery Trade Box and / or from the Open Trade Me Box.
2. Vinylmation figure must bear a ©Disney mark, and either a Vinylmation Logo or Art of Disney Theme Parks logo at the bottom foot stamp.
3. Vinylmation figure should be in good, original, undamaged, tradable condition.
4. Create-Your-Own Vinylmation figures are not accepted for trade.
5. Guest may only trade for a Vinylmation figure that is in the same proportion to the one being offered for trade.
6. Additional items (e.g. packaging, product cards, buttons, etc.) are not required to be offered in trade when trading with Cast Members.
7. Guest may trade a maximum of one (1) Vinylmation figure per activity, per location, per day.
8. When trading from Open Trade Me Box, Guest should offer a Vinylmation figure not currently displayed in the box.
9. Monies, gifts or receipts may not be exchanged or used in trade for a Vinylmation figure.
Please note, some stores and cast members can use different rules, so its best to check with a Cast Member (member of staff) before conducting a trade.
D-Street often enforces the rules much more stricter than any another trading location and often applies the “Must Trade” policy where you will give up your figure for trade and receive what ever you pick from the box or clear box.
Here are the trading locations for Walt Disney World as well as for Disneyland in California, Hong Kong and Paris.
Walt Disney World Trading Locations:-
- Trading Post Frontierland at Magic Kingdom
- MouseGear and Disney Traders at Epcot
- Villains in Vogue at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Island Mercantile at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- D Street and Disney’s Pin Traders at Downtown Disney
Disneyland Resort Trading Locations:-
- The Star Trader and Disneyana at Disneyland Park
- Off the Page at Disney California Adventure
- D Street at Downtown Disney
Disneyland Paris Trading Locations:
- Star Traders – Disneyland
- World of Disney – The Village
- Disneyland Hotel
- Newport Bay Hotel
- Harringtons – Disneyland
- Pueblos Trading Post – Disneyland
- Animation Store – Hollywood Studios
Hong Kong Disneyland
- HONG KONG DISNEYLAND PARK
- Main Street USA – Emporium
- Tomorrowland – Star Command Suppliers
- Adventureland – Professor Porter Trading
- Fantasyland – Storybook Shoppe (MYSTERY BOX)
- HONG KONG DISNEYLAND HOTELS
- Disneyland Hotel – Kingdom Gifts
- Hollywood Hotel – Celebrity Gifts
This video was originally released via the Disney Park Blog in 2010, so while some of the rules have changed, this still gives you an idea of how to trade:
Trading also can take place within stores or around the Theme Park with other collectors either by chance that you both are trying to trade at the same time or your at an Trading event (either officially run by Disney or a fan run trade event).
There have been reports that trading between collectors within D-Street have been discouraged and trading outside the stores isn’t frowned upon.