Today sees the release of the latest Nintendo console, the Switch, at a suggested retail price of $299.99 in the United States.
Nintendo Switch is a breakthrough home video game system. It not only connects to a TV at home, but it also instantly transforms into an on-the-go handheld using its 6.2-inch screen. For the first time, players can enjoy a full home-console experience anytime, anywhere. The screen includes capacitive multi-touch capabilities for compatible games. Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.
The system will include the main console, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con ® controllers, a Joy-Con grip (to which two Joy-Con are attached and used as one controller), a set of Joy-Con wrist straps, a Nintendo Switch dock (which holds the main console and connects it to a TV), an HDMI cable and an AC adapter. Two stylish versions of the system will be released: a version with a set of gray Joy-Con, and a version with one neon blue and one neon red Joy-Con. Both versions will be the same price.
The versatile Joy-Con offer multiple surprising new ways for players to have fun. Two Joy-Con can be used independently in each hand, or together as one game controller when attached to the Joy-Con grip. They can also attach to the main console for use in handheld mode, or be shared with friends to enjoy two-player action in supported games. Each Joy-Con has a full set of buttons and can act as a standalone controller, and each includes an accelerometer and gyro-sensor, making independent left and right motion control possible.
Nintendo Switch also contains a number of built-in features that make it more interactive. The left Joy-Con has a Capture Button that players can press to take instant screenshots of gameplay to share with friends on social media. The right Joy-Con includes an NFC touchpoint for interaction with amiibo figures, as well as an IR Motion Camera that can detect the distance, shape and motion of nearby objects in specially designed games. For example, it can tell how far away a player’s hand is, and even if the hand is forming a rock, paper or scissors shape. Both Joy-Con include advanced HD Rumble, which can provide compatible games with subtle vibrations that are much more realistic than before. The effect is so detailed that a player could, for example, feel the sensation of individual ice cubes colliding inside a glass when shaking a Joy-Con. With HD Rumble players can experience a level of realism not possible through sights and sounds alone.
Nintendo Switch makes it easy for players to stay connected. Up to eight systems can be connected for local wireless play. The player can place the system upright anywhere by using the built-in stand, then easily share Joy-Con for multiplayer fun away from the TV. The system will support online Wi-Fi multiplayer gaming. Nintendo also unveiled a new online subscription service that will begin with a free trial at launch. The service includes a smart-device application available in Summer 2017 that will let users invite friends to play online, set play appointments and chat with one another as they play compatible games. The fully featured paid service will be available in the fall.
Here is a look at some of the games being released today, some are available in digital and physical formats, like Zelda, Skylanders Imaginators, 1-2 Switch and Bomberman R, while many releases are just on the Switch:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Forget everything you know about The Legend of Zelda games. Step into a world of discovery, exploration and adventure in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a boundary-breaking new game in the acclaimed series. In this stunning open-air adventure, travel across vast fields, through forests and to mountain peaks as you discover what has become of the kingdom of Hyrule. Also, with the Nintendo Switch console, your journey is more open than ever as you can take it and the game anywhere and adventure as Link any way you like. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be available on March 3.
- 1-2-Switch – Throw an impromptu party anywhere with anyone thanks to a new play style in which players look at each other – not the screen! Bring the action and fun into the real world as you face off in Wild West duels, cow-milking competitions, a copycat dance-off and more wild activities. Each game takes advantage of the Joy-Con controller features in different ways. While the action unfolds off screen, the audience watches the players themselves instead of the screen. That makes it as hilarious to watch as it is to play – an instant party amplifier! 1-2-Switch will be available on March 3.
- Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! – Full Game and Free Demo Version – Hey, cut it out! No, really! In this action-puzzle game, paper pals Snip and Clip must cut each other up to overcome tricky obstacles … or just to laugh their heads off (sometimes literally). Partner up with friends or family to cut the heroes into the right shapes, interact with objects and solve a world of imaginative puzzles. Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! will be available on March 3.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment – The latest campaign from the critically acclaimed hit game Shovel Knight is a full-featured game starring Specter Knight, one of the villains from the original game. The massive prequel campaign includes even more content than the last campaign update, Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will be available on March 3 and is exclusive to the Nintendo Switch system for a limited time.
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove – For both new knights and its biggest fans, the Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove game includes the original Shovel Knight game, as well as all previously released campaign updates – even Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment! Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will be available on March 3 and is exclusive to the Nintendo Switch system for a limited time.
- Just Dance 2017 – Grab your friends and family, because it’s time to dance! The Just Dance 2017 game brings you more than 40 new tracks, five game modes, updated content all year long and access to 200+ songs through the Just Dance Unlimited service! A free three-month subscription to Just Dance Unlimited comes with every digital or retail purchase of Just Dance 2017 for the Nintendo Switch system. Just Dance 2017 will be available on March 3.
- Super Bomberman R – The iconic party-battle game is returning as Super Bomberman R on the Nintendo Switch system. Dive into the simple yet addictive gameplay in Super Bomberman R by controlling the main character, placing bombs and battling enemies and rivals with a modern visual style. Super Bomberman R will be available on March 3.
- I Am Setsuna – The I Am Setsuna game introduces the authentic JRPG style of yesteryear to the Nintendo Switch system. Journey with Setsuna as she prepares to make the ultimate sacrifice and save the people of her land. A powerfully nostalgic experience, blending classic storytelling, battle system and gameplay. I Am Setsuna will be available on March 3.
- FAST RMX – Challenge your friends to local split-screen competition or take part in online races against players from all over the world.* This lightning-fast anti-gravity racer is exclusive to the Nintendo Switch system and will be available on March 3.
Will you be picking up the Switch today?