Hulu Grows To Over 17 Million Subscribers In 2017
Today Hulu announced that it closed its fiscal year 2017 with more than 17 million total subscribers across its subscription on demand (SVOD) and live TV plans in the U.S. – over 5 million more subscribers and a more than 40% lift from the company’s last publicly reported total in 2016. The company also announced that its total audience grew to 54 million total unique viewers.
Hulu expanded its on-demand library in 2017 to over 75,000 episodes of television across 1700 titles – more than twice the number of episodes available on any of the other leading streaming services –adding all existing episodes of more than 600 popular and award-winning series, including This is Us, Designated Survivor, Atlanta, Futurama, 30 Rock, Black-ish, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Bob’s Burgers, Will & Grace, Power, Golden Girls, Prison Break, Full House and Family Matters.
Combining Hulu’s SVOD streaming TV library – now the largest in the U.S. – with its popular Originals and the more than 50 top live channels in its Hulu With Live TV plan, Hulu is now the only streaming service that offers TV fans a complete television experience, all in one place, on all of their favorite devices.
“2017 was a momentous year for Hulu. We took several major steps to become a 21st century direct-to-consumer media company, evolving into both an aggressive SVOD business and a formidable new live TV provider,” said Hulu CEO Randy Freer. “The year ahead is going to be even bigger, as the company invests more in content – live, library and original – as well as technology and data to make Hulu the leading pay TV choice for consumers.”
Other Hulu 2017 highlights include:
- Hulu established itself as a creative powerhouse in original programming in 2017, nabbing 10 Emmy Awards – including the first-ever Outstanding Drama Emmy won by a streaming service – and two Golden Globes, including the award for Best Television Series – Drama.
- Consumers aren’t the only ones who love Hulu; brands love it as well. In 2017, Hulu’s advertising revenue reached $1 billion for the first time in the company’s history.
- Hulu viewers have a median age of 31 – nearly 25 years younger than the average broadcast TV viewer (55) – and a median annual household income of $92,000.
- Hulu With Live TV is already driving strong engagement with its combination of live, library and original content. In December, viewers who subscribe to Hulu With Live TV spent more time watching content per day than the average linear TV viewer.
- The top three dramas on Hulu in 2017, based on hours watched, were Law & Order: SVU, This is Us and The Handmaid’s Tale.
- The top three comedies on Hulu in 2017, based on hours watched, were South Park, Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers. Notably, Seinfeld also cracked the top 10—Hulu viewers watched more than 65 million hours of Seinfeld in 2017.
Roger is the owner of DisKingdom.com and is a big Disney fan. He collects many different things including Funko, LEGO, Star Wars Miniatures, Marvel Legends & Star Wars Black Series figures. If you have a news tip, feel free to email me at Roger@Diskingdom.com or send me a tweet @DisKingdom And he presents our Youtube Channel” and Podcasts.